The Philippines: Visayas & Northern Mindanao
One-On-One Photography Workshop in the Spectacular Philippine Archipelago
Dates: 14 days. Anytime between the months of January and September.
Cost: $5,200 USD
Who Should Attend: Beginners, amateurs and professional photographers are all welcome.
Topics Covered: Customized to focus on what interests you most.
What’s Included: All lodging, transportation, meals and miscellaneous expenses once in the Philippines.
To get truly telling and genuine travel images we need to immerse ourselves into the culture we are visiting. This is my philosophy on travel photography and the one-on-one format of this workshop is designed to do just this; immerse you into Filipino culture while exploring some of the archipelago’s most exotic locations. I will help you find not just beautiful images but rather meaningful stories from each of the places we visit. The main goal of this workshop is to learn how to create images that go deeper than your typical travel photos.
The Philippines, known as Pearl of the Orient is one of the great treasures of Southeast Asia. Often overlooked by travelers, the Philippines rewards those who go the extra distance to reach and explore it. Because it’s off the beaten path, the Philippines is a great place to escape the hordes who descend on other parts of Southeast Asia. The places we’ll visit will be a combination of the more popular attractions like the beautiful beaches and waterfalls of Camiguin Island and lesser traveled areas such as traditional farming and fishing villages. Below are some of the places we’ll visit:
• Backstreets and the bustling Carbon market of Cebu City
• Olango Island’s traditional fishing villages
• Mantalongon – Unique shaped mountains and the agricultural center of Cebu island.
• Bukidnon – We will explore the Talaandig Ancestral Territory and the indigenous people living there.
• Agusan Marsh – Communities of mostly ethnic Manobos have made their permanent homes deep within the country’s largest freshwater marsh, living on floating homes.
• Cagayan de Oro River Valley – Breathtaking views of the areas largest river.
• Camiguin Island – This volcanic island is home to beautiful white sand beaches, tropical waterfalls, natural hot springs and friendly people.
• The rice farming towns and fishing villages of Surigao province.
The workshop will be tailored to the needs and desires of each individual, therefore, the topics we cover will depend on what your interests are and what areas you would like to gain more knowledge in. Because you will be the only participant, I will be able to devote all my effort into teaching and sharing my knowledge with you. Below are some photographic topics we can cover during the workshop.
• How to approach and photograph people from different cultures
• Shooting basics
• Achieving good composition
• Coping with difficult lighting situations
• Defining your photographic objectives
• Creating and presenting a visual narrative / visual storytelling
• Shooting in manual
• Working with subjects in the water
• Travel and packing tips, equipment care, maintenance
• Digital workflow and post-processing images in Lightroom & Photoshop
• Natural and artificial lighting – off camera flash and the reflector
• Marketing your images and working with clients
• Website development and blogging
Everything except for the price of your airfare is included in the cost of the workshop. All you have to do is get yourself to Cebu City / Mactan International Airport and everything else will be taken care of. There are regular international flights into Cebu City with a number of different carriers. I would be more than happy to help you arrange your flight into Cebu as well. Your accommodations will range from comfortable mid-range hotels to basic provincial homes. Your food will include three meals a day and I will make sure you get to taste the full range of Filipino cuisine. We will get around using local transportation; buses, jeepneys, tricycles, motorcycles and boats.
The dates of the workshop are up to the participant, but it should be within the period of time from January to September. October to December are generally the worst months for typhoons in the Philippines and I would like to avoid this time period if possible.
If you have any further questions or would like to inquire about possible dates please feel free to contact me.
Cost includes: 13 nights of accommodation, one domestic round-trip flight, all ground and boat transport, 3 meals a day, guides and entrance fees.
Cost does not include: International flights, travel insurance, vaccinations and medical cover/treatment, tips, accommodation on the night prior to starting, and personal expenses such as beverages/snacks, alcoholic beverages, internet access fees, laundry fees, etc.
* If you would like to travel with a companion (Two-on-One workshop) an 8% discount will be given to each participant and rate will be based on double occupancy. Two participants at a single time is the most I will accept for this workshop. This allows me to adequately focus on each participant and give them the best environment to learn and improve.
* I am willing to arrange alternative destinations and itineraries within the Philippines, however, cost will be reflective of additional domestic flights and other expenses.